Monday, June 10, 2013

My Blogging Purpose


I first started this blog as an outlet for creativity and as way to refresh my writing skills as I wait to continue my English/Journalism major in the Fall. After I joined a wonderful, supportive blogging network and learned more about the blogging community, I began to feel the pressure to get page-views and followers. I saw other blogs with overwhelming comments and traffic, and in all honesty, I was feeling a bit bummed. Some blogs didn't even have quality content, rather, they hosted blog hops and link parties almost daily and threw in an original post maybe once every two weeks. After five busy days in my real life, I found that I hadn't made a single post, and a ball of anxiety tethered inside of me.

It took that anxiety to remind me of my blog's earlier purpose- serving as an OUTLET for stress, not the igniter of it! And so, with that being said, I must warn my readers that my blog is not always going to be a timely one. You can't count on me to post every day, or even every couple of days. You can't count on me to have perfect word choice or perfect photos, because I'm not perfect. And that is perfectly okay! The point is, is that in real life, I am growing (blossoming, even!) in many mediums- writing, photography, life skills, loving, appreciating, adventuring, and more. And I hope that this blog can serve as a reflection of that growth and give me the chance to share the lovely lessons and experiences that my life brings.

I love all of my followers, even if my following at the moment is small, conversation, and learning new things from others, so please feel comfortable in leaving me comments, whether raving or criticizing my posts. I love e-mails and meeting new bloggers, too, so feel free to drop me an e-mail by clicking my mail icon, even if just to introduce yourself! I plan on sharing my Instagram with all of you lovelies soon, too :)

And so, beginning now, I'm going back to the basics with blogging, and if that means that my following will grow more slowly than others who are constantly advertising their blog on networking and social sites, then that's okay with me!

What is your purpose for blogging?

20 comments:

  1. I originally didn't have much purpose for blogging. I didn't really think about it until I started it. I've been blogging for about 3-4 weeks now and I can't believe the purpose it's given to my life. I live for the feedback I get from it. My page views aren't record breaking,but to me that's not important anymore. Content>Followers. I believe that if you build a great blog , the followers will come afterwards.

    Jenny xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad theres other new bloggers who aren't feeding off of page views :) Keep it up!

      Delete
  2. Such a great reminder. Its so easy to get caught up in getting followers and page views. I've started and left some of my previous blogs because I became obsessed with getting a following and anxious when it didn't happen, and thinking up new posts became so stressful since I thought they weren't "good enough". I'm really trying to focus more on me rather than the following this time, because I really love to write and take photos and blogging is such a great outlet for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown so much from when I first began to now, that I'm seriously embarressed about my earliest posts and thought about rewriting them or starting over. But, I kept them the way they were after I decided that those posts are a great reminder of my progress! It's all in the way that you look at things. I love your header, by the way- the watercolor is very pretty. Did you do that yourself?

      Delete
    2. That's such a good way of looking at it. I left my old blogs and created this new one because I didn't want the "old posts" that I wasn't proud of. And thank you! I was painting one night, mostly messing around trying to make a rainbow of watercolors and I loved it so much that I made it my header haha.

      Delete
    3. If I had the money (or any money at all :p...) I'd ask you to make me a cute watercolor heading and I'd pay for it! Try and keep your blog this time ^_^ you're doing great!

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much! I don't mind doing it as a favor if you'd like :) I'm not exactly experienced with watercolor, mostly just messing around, but I'd be happy to try! Email me if you want and we can talk about it!

      Delete
    5. I'm a decent crafter, but for some reason when it comes to watercolor and paints, I'm a complete failure >.> ... I always continue after I should've let it be and it comes out a mess. I'd love for that!

      Delete
  3. I have been blogging for about three years now, and it's only been recently that I feel like I'm finally getting a feel for my blog. It is nice to have a few active readers, not just people in your everyday life, it gives a different feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I like being able to talk to and meet people that I wouldn't have been able to in my real life from different parts of not just the country, but the world!

      Delete
  4. i think this is something every blogger struggles with at some time. statistics are no requisite for a good blog, but it's so tempting to take part in the competition. and also, sometimes you just want some recognition.

    but like you, i also blog for me. and for me,having a few readers (who actually read my posts and comment every now and then) is enough. it's so nice to meet and talk to new people from all over the world, that is such a fun part about blogging.

    personally, i like blogs that are 'real' and yours definitely is. so don't worry about being perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you :) that really made me feel good about my little blog. Yours is definitley a "real" blog, too. How long have you been blogging miss?

      Delete
  5. I totally feel you on this. I have to say, nothing could have prepared me for the pressure that I feel (put on by myself) to post EVERY DAY. And I have a full time job. It can be challenging, for sure.

    I found you on the Bloglovin' hop! Looking forward to following your work (no matter how sporadic). ;)

    xoxo,

    Jules of Canines & Couture
    www.caninesandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine feeling the pressure to blog daily, eep! AND with a full time job? I'm a full-time student and currently seeking a job for the Summer, but I have a good amount of free time right now so I couldn't even imagine being in your position.

      I'm going to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  6. This post couldn't be any more perfect, I totally feel where you are coming from. I've had many blogs over the last 4-5 years but this time round I feel more pressured to have people reading my posts. I love coming across bloggers that feel the same, so I can't wait to read more!

    I just followed you via bloglovin from the blog hop ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to meet others who can relate and I'm excited to check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. This is so well put. I think I am where you were at the moment. I check for comments and followers all the time. I am getting discouraged thinking ppl do not like my posts or maybe am doing something wrong. But you said it best. I should do this for myself. So thank you so much for the reminder. It really opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, I'm glad that it helped. Just keep chugging along, and you'll find your way and the followers will come :)

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love this post. You've written it beautifully! I stopped my previous blog after three years because I didn't like the pressure you speak about. My new blog is simply to share my craft projects and engage with other crafters and I refuse to worry too much about page views. Thanks for posting this! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you're not feeling the pressure anymore :) I think that the best blogs are the ones that you can feel are "real" and from the heart, anyway. I can't wait to check out your blog :)

      Delete