Friday, June 21, 2013

Easy DIY: Burlap Chevron Pencil Pouch



 

I saw these adorable burlap pencil-pouches at Target a while back for only $1, and so I scooped them up for later crafting. They sat in my craft bin for weeks, and were eventually buried beneath the continental crust of crafting supplies. I have SO much to do today, so what better time to procrastinate with an easy craft? I dug through my craft bin and rediscovered the sad, little burlap pouch and decided that it could use some color. The Sharpies were already out on the table from Aaron using them to experiment "Sharpie Tie-dying" (which I must save to explain on a different day!) and so I did what any lazy crafter would do and decided that it was Sharpie time. I've been obsessed with the blue/green color palette lately (does my blog make that obvious :P?) and so, naturally, I chose Sharpies to fit my color palette mood.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that these little burlap pouches are available in the Target $1 section anymore, but I did stumble upon a simple sewing DIY to make your own burlap pouch from Crafting Goodness, here!

I chose the chevron pattern because it was an easy pattern, and from previous experience, the simpler I keep my projects, the better they turn out! I simply alternated colors and widths of zig-zags and then I decided to add a bit of sparkle with simple glitter paint that was laying on top of my craft bin.... I think it's time to organize that craft bin, hm? The pouch turned out a much cuter version of itself and I'm very pleased with the final result!

If you're the more visual type and you've decided to skim or even skip this portion (don't worry, I do it too!), I've provided a simple photo collage of the craft just below.





I love Target's $1 section! Do you have any easy crafts that you've created using materials from there?










12 comments:

  1. Love it!!!!but here in the UK we don't have target shame really,xxRachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I love Target so much- they've got this little section full of goodies for $1. Much is cheaply made, but there's times I come across gems like the burlap pouch. They've also usually got quite the selection of organizational tools, like bins and baskets. Do you have a similair store in the UK?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the Linky love Paige. I loved these burlap pencil cases - I embroidered mine - so hopefully your wonderful readers will be able to follow my DIY on making their own.
    Helen - Craftinggoodness.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many cute possibilities when you find something like this, aren't there? If I was a sewer, I would've loved to embroider. Alas, my sewing skills are minimal, so I chose the lazy crafter's route :P. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hey there! Here from the Blog Hop! Just wanted to let you know I'm following you via all your social networks! Hope you'll get a chance to check me out!

    Blog url
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    Bloglovin'
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3718883

    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cropped-Stories/615495055132216

    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/croppedstories

    Google+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/102758509830977850235/posts

    Pinterest
    http://pinterest.com/croppedstories/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm glad that you took the time to stop by. I'll check you out and do the same ^_^

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to say thanks for the follow backs! I really appreciate it :o) Hope you had a wonderful Monday and have a great night!

    - croppedstories@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crafts that even this "girl with no time" can do. I'm off to check out the tutorial that you linked to. Thanks!

    I'm a new follower of yours via BlogLovin. I’d love it if you linked up to my weekly BlogLovin Hop (http://www.journeysofthezoo.com/search/label/BlogLovin%20Hop).

    Looking forward to connecting further.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo
    BlogLovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4064788/journeys-of-the-zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello new friend! Thanks for stopping by. I'll be sure to check out your blog today :)

      Delete
  6. What an adorable DIY project! Looks easy enough for even the most craft challenged person (me). ;)

    xoxo,

    Jules of Canines & Couture
    www.caninesandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aw, I bet you're not that bad! I stick to the simple crafts, too :)

      Delete