Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vegan Jar Cake








I gave this cute, homemade vegan cake in a jar to my boyfriend, Aaron, and it's a good thing that I took pictures beforehand, because he gobbled it right up! My boyfriend is not a vegan, so he's the perfect, unbiased test subject for my animal-free goodies. While this layered cake in a jar turned out adorable, l'll let you in on a little secret: It was made from vegan cupcakes that I messed up!! If, like me, your baking and frosting abilities need some work, this recipe is perfect for you, because it's virtually impossible to mess up!

Earlier this week, I tried Little Blue Bird's "Chocolate Crazy Cake" and it turned out wonderful! I decided to make a batch of her vanilla version, which also turned out wonderful. However, I didn't realize that my cupcakes hadn't cooled fully (what a rookie mistake!) and the frosting melted all over the cupcakes and their liners. I was so dissapointed, because they tasted so yummy but looked like a two year old threw them together. That's when, in an effort to save my cupcakes, my vegan cake in a jar was born!




My vegan cake in a jar has three different types of layers. To make the vegan cake in a jar, first make each of these elements seperately: 

1. Vegan vanilla cake: I used Little Blue Bird's Crazy/Wacky Vanilla cake recipe



2. Vegan chocolate frosting:        - 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine (I use soy-free), melted
                                                             - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                                                             - 1/3 cup vegan milk subsitute (I use flax milk)
                                                             - 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
                                                             - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions: In a large bowl, beat the unsweetened cocoa and melted Earth Balance together. Add the milk and vanilla, and mix until smooth. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth.



3. Vegan peanut butter frosting: - 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, melted
                                                             - 1/2 cup peanut butter 
                                                             - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions: In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the peanut butter for about 30 seconds until warm. In a large bowl, add the Earth Balance and the peanut butter together and mix until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until the mix is smooth. If you prefer an airy consistency, an electronic mixer is recommended. The longer the mixture is beat, the more airy it will be.





To make Vegan Jar Cake:
Once you have all of the elements made, you will need an old, clean jar, or a mason jar. Make sure that your jar has a lid if it's not going to be eaten right away. I bought my mason jar on a trip to the Dollar Store, can you believe it? 

1. Pour in a couple of spoonfuls of cake crumbles in your jar until it's filled a bit less than a fourth of the way.

2. Heat up the chocolate frosting in a heat-safe container that will make it easy to pour. I used a glass measuring cup with a spout and put it in the microwave for twenty seconds. Heating the frosting up will temporarily make the frosting mixture runny and will make it easier to pour into the jar without getting it all over the sides. Pour just enough chocolate frosting in the jar to completely cover the cake. The frosting will soak into the cake layer underneath, especially because it's hot. I found that by tilting the jar in a circle, I was able to cover all parts of the cake evenly.

3. Make another layer of cake crumbles.

4. Heat up the peanut butter frosting in a heat-safe container that will make it easy to pour. (You get the idea!) Again, pour just enough to cover the cake. 

5. Repeat steps one through four until your jar is filled to your liking. Voilà! You have an adorable Vegan Layered Cake in a Jar.





I made my own tag with a bit of cardstock and thin Sharpies, 
but I also made a free tag printable for your Vegan Jar Cake for you to use below.

Click here or the preview below to download a free tag printable for your jar :)
                
                       
   
I would love to see hear about how your Vegan Jar Cakes turn out :)


No comments:

Post a Comment