Thursday, May 30, 2013

Baby Shower Gift & Wrapping


I've never been a pretty gift-giver. If you've received a gift from me that's wrapped in anything at all, consider yourself lucky! It's not that I don't WANT to give pretty gifts, I just get so meticulous that if the gift isn't perfect, I throw away the idea and give up. By the time the gift is wrapped to my liking, I'm exhausted- and all for what? To be torn to pieces once given!

However, I'm making effort to change this habit. When my ex-coach's baby shower was announced, I was thrilled to be able to put my gifting skills to the test! I went for a simple theme of light pink because she's having her first little girl. Finding the gifts themselves was easy enough, because she registered herself at Target. I don't like straying too far from registries, because I'd much rather give a gift that the expectant wants, rather than something that suits my own tastes. 

I decided to pick out a couple of my favorite items from her registry that went with my light pink theme, and then chose to add in one of my favorite baby books- "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney. My mother used to read it to me all the time when I was little, and it was one of my favorites. If you've never read it before, you should pick it up sometime because it's adorable (who says that adults can't read children's books!). In the baby aisle, I saw a little tote box with a light pink bottom and thought that it would be perfect to put my gifts in. I like to use baskets and other reusable packaging. Not only is it a cute way to tie your gift together, but it serves as a functional piece, rather than something to be disposed of. On my way out, I spotted a sparkly, light pink fairy wand for a dollar and threw it in my cart, knowing that I could use it for SOMETHING. Heck, it was a dollar.

Having the light pink tote to put my gifts in, I found a bit of gifting-cellophane at Joanne's and a darling spool of light pink ribbon that I could continue to use for future crafting.




My last baby gift to-do was the card. I don't like buying cards at the store for the simple reason that somebody else created and wrote them. Getting hand-made cards, even on tattered scraps of notebook paper, makes me feel much more special than receiving a store-bought card, and so I try to do the same for others.

However, I don't have any of those nifty die-cut supplies (but I do have a birthday coming up, aaaah hem... ;p ), so I do the best with what I have. I made my card with half a sheet of card-stock and a piece of "baby girl" scrap-booking paper that I had picked up at Michael's craft store a while ago. I wanted a simple symbol on the front, so I added a little rattle that I created with the same card-stock, and dipped the rattle in a pastel glitter. I hole punched the side and tied a bow with the same ribbon that I wrapped the present with, and made a last-minute decision to line the sides with white buttons.


Not too shabby for a girl without die-cuts!

Choosing a simple theme for my gift and the wrapping made my task SO much easier! Everything seemed to fall right into place and the final result was pretty adorable, if I don't say so myself!

What's your favorite way to make gift-wrapping personalized and special?



5 comments:

  1. That card turned out great!!!! Love! :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I began without any idea of what I was doing, so I was surprised too!

      Delete
  2. Who says you aren't a pretty gift giver? It looks so awesome . I wish I could do a better theme like this , I always end up buying stores wrapped stuff.
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! My gift-wrapping confidence has officially been boosted :P

      Delete
  3. Wow these baby shower gifts are so pretty and sweet!x

    ReplyDelete