Sunday, March 3, 2013

DIY: Distressed Letter Stickers Wall Art




I got the idea for this easy wall art DIY from A Beautiful Mess here, but I made a few tweaks for convenience and for a different feel for the finished project. I wanted something more worn and rustic, with a more simple red to green hue background to match the bedroom, and, most of all, I wanted to see if I could try and use what I already had laying around the house! 


What you need:
- A canvas or an old piece of wall art that you're no longer fond of

- Letter stickers (I found mine at Staples)

- Acrylic black paint and two other paint colors that you'd like to use

- Paintbrushes

- (Optional) A ruler

- (Optional) Steel wool to make it look worn and rustic



What to do:
1. Take your first acrylic paint color and paint the top half of the canvas or old artwork. Then, take your second paint color and paint the bottom half of the canvas. With a dab of each paint color, blend the two colors in the middle until you've reached your desired effect. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be perfect- most of it will be covered in black anyway!


2. Wait until the acrylics have dried. Then, choose a quote of your liking (be sure to take account of letter space versus canvas space). Before you lay the letters down, you can see if it fits by cutting out the letters, sticky parts still covered, and placing them on the canvas. At Staples, I found big letters and small letters. I chose the big letters with the small canvas to reach a certain effect, but small letters would've looked great too!


3. Once you're happy with your quote and letter placement, you can stick the letters down. I used a ruler to make sure that the words lined up straight. Make sure to smooth all of the letters out so that the paint won't be able to seep under.


4. Paint the entire canvas black! This is the scary part, because it looks like you're ruining all of the pretty work you've just done, but I promise, it's going to be okay ;)


5. Wait until the black paint has fully dried. This is important, or you'll end up with squiggly letters. Then, carefully peel each letter off. I found it easiest to start from the corners.


6. This step is optional. I was able to do this with my canvas because I was using a piece of old artwork that was hard and made out of a plastic substance, but I'm afraid if you used real canvas material that this step would only make it tear. To make my wall art look more rustic (and to cover up some imperfections) I took a piece of steel wool and scratched the canvas until I decided I was done. I was really scared to do this, but it turned out better than I imagined. If you use an old picture, it's really cool because you can the underneath. In my case, the underneath had a shiny texture, making the final piece even cooler.


7. Ta da! Beautiful distressed letter stickers wall art.


I love this DIY because each piece will be unique. I'd love to see any of the versions that you make!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pretty nifty DIY! I'll definitely do this when I have the time. But what if I don't have any existing wall art?

    xoxo,
    Kisty of The Style Mermaid
    http://kisty.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always buy a canvas for cheap at Michaels or Joannes, I'm sure, or, if you're looking for a more heavy duty picture with the ability to distress it, I reccomend looking at a local flea market or thrift shop! Thrift shops can be treasure troves :)

      Delete
  3. This really a great project, nice to see your work, i have enjoyed this post, many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thinks your great idea for canvas art design and nice project. great idea for letter design canvas art look nice so cute color combination is great and wonderful looking great thank for sharing your great idea. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have shared an interesting post with us, this DIY wall have very nice look, great work keeps it up......


    Thakns
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete