Sunday, February 3, 2013

How To: 8-Bit Perler Bow


I was wandering Joanne's craft store (my natural habitat) and stumbled upon a cheap set of perler beads and perler boards! Nostalgia swooned me and I had no choice but to buy the set. I rationalized it by telling myself that, if anything, I could use them for kandi bracelets. The bow piece I made came out quirky and cute, and it was just too easy.

You will need:  -Perler beads in at least 2 different colors
                          - A perler bead "peg board"
                          - A plain hair clip (I upcycled mine by taking it from an old hair bow)
                          - Ironing paper
                          - An iron
                          - Glue that will bond from metal to plastic. I used Gorilla Glue. 
                          - Patience!


What to do: You can use this pattern at KandiPatterns. To make the bow is very much common sense- just follow the pattern and place the perler beads where they correspond. I chose not to use the white highlights, but it's up to you if you'd like to use them. When finished, be very careful not to knock it over your beautiful creation! I can't tell you how many times I've worked on a piece, only to have it lay scattered on the floor. Then, carefully, place the ironing paper over your finished perler piece and iron it on medium in small circles for 10 seconds. Wait until it cools and then do the other side. While it's still warm, but not too hot to the touch, you might want to bend it a bit to fit the natural shape of your head better. Once both sides are cool, dab the glue onto the top of the clip and bond it to the plastic bow. When I used Gorilla Glue, I had to keep it in place with a strong clip for a few hours. I'm sure hot glue or other glues would work just fine too. And, voila! Cute 3-bit hair bow.



There's plenty of other perler patterns and things to create from perler beads, so experiment! I even made a cute little strawberry but I haven't decided what to do with him yet. Any ideas? 


I'd love to see your creations and ideas. Happy crafting ^_^

1 comment: