Saturday, February 9, 2013

Beware of Borax!



My fellow lovely DIYers, we have a problem. In my home, I try my best to use natural, safe cleaning products and I love to make homemade ones not only to save money, but because I know exactly what's in the products and I trust the safety of the ingredients. However, floating around Pinterest and many blogs are DIYs, mostly to make your own laundry detergent, that include Borax. For a while, Borax was touted as a safe, eco-friendly ingredient, but now there's findings that Borax is not only a harmful irritant to the skin and lungs, but it's linked to reproductive damage. The Environmental Working Group even rated Borax an F. Luckily, there's plenty of Borax-free DIYs, like this one from Grist.org! If you'd like more information on the safety of borax, you can visit this article from an EWG  senior scientist.  

If you're questioning any of your other homemade ingredients, you can visit the EWG website for Healthy Cleaning here
They also have great safety information for beauty and skin products here.

Be creative, be thrifty, and be safe, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment